Skip to main content

Pakistan | The last battle | Economist.com

Pakistan | The last battle | Economist.com: "The government’s long reluctance to use force at the Lal Masjid had a simple explanation: it wanted to avoid bloodshed. But it has prompted other, less charitable, interpretations. The two brothers and their father, who founded the mosque, had close connections with Pakistan’s powerful intelligence services. As a reminder of the extremist danger, the Lal Masjid helped bolster General Musharraf’s image as a bastion of “enlightened moderation” in Islam. So too, without belittling General Musharraf’s undoubted courage, did the latest attempt on his life, by machine-guns aiming at his distant helicopter."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"