Skip to main content

Al Jazeera English - Africa - Somalis agree Ethiopian deadline

Al Jazeera English - Africa - Somalis agree Ethiopian deadline
Ethiopian forces would withdraw from Somalia early next year under a deal signed by the Somali government and several opposition groups in Djibouti, a UN spokeswoman said.

The accord, signed at UN-sponsored talks on Sunday, ressurrected a ceasefire deal agreed in July, but came as at least 13 people were killed in the Horn of Africa nation's ongoing violence.

The government and the Alliance for the Re-liberation of Somalia (ARS) agreed that Ethiopian troops would initially pull out of areas in the capital Mogadishu and the central town of Beledweyne on November 21.

These areas would be left under the control of African Union troops (Amisom), Susannah Price, spokeswoman for the UN envoy to Somalia, said.

"The second phase of Ethiopian troop withdrawal should be completed within 120 days," the agreement said, although Price was unable to say when exactly the countdown would begin.

Ethiopian forces were deployed to Somalia to help government troops force out the Islamic courts union, which controlled Mogadishu and much of southern and central Somalia.

However, it was unclear how succesful the deal, which comes before efforts to restart peace talks in the Kenyan capital Nairobi, would be in tackling the violence as al-Shabaab, which has carried out a series of attacks, and several other armed groups were not represented in Djibouti.

Military ambushed

In the latest violence, six people died when Ethiopian and Somali forces clashed with anti-government fighters after their military convoy was ambushed near the town of Baidoa.

A witness said that the fighters used "mortars and machine-gun fire" to attack nine government vehicles. A second witness said nine Somali soldiers were taken to hospital.

In Wanlaweyn, about 90km south of Mogadishu, the bodies were of four civilians were found after another clash between Ethiopian forces and fighters.

Two police officers and a civilian alo died when a roadside bomb exploded near a police checkpoint in the north of the capital, according to police.

More than 10,000 people have been killed and one million other displaced by the fighting since early last year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israeli school segregated Ethiopian students » Ethiopian Review

Israeli school segregated Ethiopian students » Ethiopian Review : "The placement of four Ethiopian girls in a separate class from their peers at a Petah Tikva grade school has sparked accusations of segregation on Tuesday morning following a report in Yediot Aharonot. According to ‘Hamerhav’ principal, Rabbi Yeshiyahu Granvich, complete integration of the girls was impossible. The reason being, said municipal workers, was that the students were not observant enough, nor did their families belong to the national-religious movement that the school was founded upon. Among the differences in the daily school life of the girls, a single teacher was responsible to teach them all of their subjects. Worse yet, the four were allotted separate recess hours and were driven to and from school separately. Such action has been labeled by observers as “apartheid.”"

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 01/13/2009 | Poll: American public backs Israel firmly in war with Hamas

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 01/13/2009 | Poll: American public backs Israel firmly in war with Hamas : "WASHINGTON — As Palestinian casualties mount in the Gaza Strip, the American people are squarely behind Israel and overwhelmingly think that using force against Hamas is appropriate, according to a new McClatchy/Ipsos poll. Forty-four percent of Americans support Israel's use of force, while only 18 percent considered Hamas' use of force appropriate. Fifty-seven percent think that Hamas is using excessive force, while only 36 percent said Israel was. Nearly 1,000 Palestinians have been killed in the violence — soldiers and civilians — and at least nine Israeli soldiers and four civilians have died. When it comes to who's to blame for the latest Middle East crisis, Americans blame Hamas hands down: Forty-four percent said Hamas, 14 percent said Israel and 29 percent said they weren't sure. Nine percent said both, and 4 percent said neither."