Skip to main content

As troops draw down, more contractors hired | StarTribune.com

As troops draw down, more contractors hired | StarTribune.com: "Just as they were starting to pack to leave in 2007, they learned that they were part of a group of 2,500 Minnesota National Guard troops whose deployments had been extended an additional four months as part of President George W. Bush's 'surge.'

So where did two veterans from Detroit Lakes end up after coming home? Back in Iraq.

Dustin Heard and Dan Wilson, who were in the same unit in Iraq during a 15-month tour with the Guard, are now working as private security contractors at a base near the Baghdad International Airport."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"