Skip to main content

Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Gazans mark anniversary of war

Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Gazans mark anniversary of war: "Palestinians in the Gaza Strip are marking one year since the start of Israel's 22-day offensive on the territory, which left hundreds dead and damaged millions of dollars worth of infrastructure.

Hamas officials held a ceremony on Sunday outside the destroyed Palestinian Legislative Council building in Gaza City - one of the first targets of the assault.

Air raid sirens were turned on at 11:20am (9:20 GMT), the exact time that the aerial bombardment began.

Ismail Haniya, the deposed Palestinian prime minister, was expected to unveil a plaque commemorating the 1,600 people that Hamas officials say were killed during the war.

Other estimates put the Palestinian death toll closer to 1,400, the majority of whom were civilians, including around 400 children.

Thirteen Israelis were also killed during the war - 10 soldiers and three civilians.

A month of events are planned to commemorate the war in Gaza.

Sombre mood

Al Jazeera's Sherine Tadros, who was among one of the few international broadcasters to report on the war from inside the territory, was at the scene.

in depth
She said that 'the message here isn't just one of sombreness and sadness to mark one of the darkest phases of Palestinian history, but also one of defiance by the Hamas government, who continue to maintain control, law and order here in the Gaza Strip'.

The stated aim behind Israel's 'Operation Cast Lead' was to cripple the ability of Hamas and other Palestinian groups from launching rockets into southern Israel.

Avital Leibovich, an Israeli military spokesperson, told Al Jazeera on Sunday that the operation had been successful.

'This [goal] was achieved as, a year after the operation, we are seeing very little rocket fire. In that sense, it has been a success,' she said.

Palestinian armed groups have slowed, but not stopped, their indiscriminate rocket attacks, but the factions claim that is by choice."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Israeli school segregated Ethiopian students » Ethiopian Review

Israeli school segregated Ethiopian students » Ethiopian Review : "The placement of four Ethiopian girls in a separate class from their peers at a Petah Tikva grade school has sparked accusations of segregation on Tuesday morning following a report in Yediot Aharonot. According to ‘Hamerhav’ principal, Rabbi Yeshiyahu Granvich, complete integration of the girls was impossible. The reason being, said municipal workers, was that the students were not observant enough, nor did their families belong to the national-religious movement that the school was founded upon. Among the differences in the daily school life of the girls, a single teacher was responsible to teach them all of their subjects. Worse yet, the four were allotted separate recess hours and were driven to and from school separately. Such action has been labeled by observers as “apartheid.”"

ei: Pushing for "normalization" of Israeli apartheid

ei: Pushing for "normalization" of Israeli apartheid The Arab League proposed in 2002 what became known as the Arab Peace Initiative to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. It was an unprecedented, bold offer which promised Israel full normalization in exchange for a complete withdrawal from the territories occupied in 1967 and the creation of a Palestinian state. The plan called for a "just settlement" to the Palestinian refugee issue. This, in practical terms, meant renunciation of the right to return, despite this being an individual right under international law of which no state or authority can forfeit on behalf of the refugees. The Arab Peace Initiative was based on what fallaciously became known as the "international consensus" for the resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, that of "two states, for two peoples," championed by the Zionist left as well as Israel's patrons in the West. The plan represented a rare united front a...