Skip to main content

Life "no longer bearable" in Syria, says Palestinian refugee

Life "no longer bearable" in Syria, says Palestinian refugee


One of the most distressing scenes that Redwan Amayra witnessed in Syria was of a woman being shot as she carried some bread. After warplanes hit Yarmouk, a Palestinian refugee camp near Damascus, last November, Amayra decided to flee.
A 60-year-old teacher employed with the UN agency for Palestine refugees (UNRWA), Amayra had just registered with the Palestinian Authority’s embassy in Cairo. It is not the first time that his family has been uprooted: they were forced to leave Safed, a town in the Galilee region of historic Palestine, when it was attacked by Zionist forces in 1948.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"