Skip to main content

Gaza reminds us of Zionism's original sin | The Electronic Intifada

Gaza reminds us of Zionism's original sin | The Electronic Intifada

The morning after Lailat al-Qadr, the death toll in Gaza was approaching its first thousand.


Al-Qadr — the night before the last Friday in the holy month of Ramadan
— is believed to be the night when the Quran was revealed to the
prophet Muhammad. I spent this special night with friends in the
occupied West Bank city of Ramallah after participating in the “48K March” for Gaza.


The march began in Ramallah and went to Qalandiya checkpoint. What began as a peaceful event with families bringing their children and even babies in strollers, ended with young Palestinians with gunshot wounds being rushed in ambulances to the local hospital.


Qalandiya crossing was fortified and air-tight, and the Israeli
soldiers stationed on top were shooting live ammunition at the crowd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"