Skip to main content

Thousands demand release of immigrant convicted of mutilation

Thousands demand release of immigrant convicted of mutilation

The Associated Press - ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia

About 2,000 people demonstrated on Saturday in the capital to demand the release of an Ethiopian immigrant convicted of the genital mutilation of his 2-year-old daughter and sentenced to 10 years in prison in Georgia....
The couple divorced in 2003 and Khalid's attorney Mark Hill suggested during the trial that the couple's daughter was coached to testify against her father by her mother, who has full custody of the child.

"His trial was not fair ... how is it that Fortunate (Khalid's ex-wife) did not notice that her own daughter had been circumcised for almost two years? How is that possible? She only told the police when they got the divorce to hurt him _ to get back at him," Adel Adem, Khalid's brother, told The Associated Press before the demonstration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"