Skip to main content

Al Jazeera English - News - Clashes At Belgian Anti-Islam Rally

Al Jazeera English - News - Clashes At Belgian Anti-Islam Rally
Two leaders from the far-right Vlaams Belang party are among dozens of people arrested by Belgian police during an anti-Islam rally that had been banned by authorities.

Police clashed with protesters who gathered in Brussels, the Belgian capital, to demonstrate against what they called "the Islamisation of Europe".

The march on Tuesday was timed to coincide with the sixth anniversary of the September 11 attacks in New York and organisers had predicted about 20,000 people would attend.

In the end, only one hundredth of that number were reported to have turned up and were nearly outnumbered by reporters and police.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"