Skip to main content

The Daily Star - Politics - Egypt takes militant Iraqi TV channel off air

The Daily Star - Politics - Egypt takes militant Iraqi TV channel off air: "CAIRO: An Iraqi satellite television channel that has angered the US and Iraqi governments for broadcasting anti-US and anti-Shiite news reports has been taken off the air by the Egyptian government, the press reported on Sunday. 'The Iraqi Al-Zawraa satellite channel on NileSat 101 was cut off after it repeatedly interfered with the transmission of several other channels,' the state-owned Al-Gomhuriyah newspaper reported. It said several channels had been experiencing transmission problems that were traced to Al-Zawraa. The channel was initially disconnected on Thursday and the problems stopped immediately. Subsequent efforts to reconnect the channel resulted in further interference. US and Iraqi authorities have repeatedly asked for the channel, owned by Sunni Iraqi politician Mishan al-Juburi, to be taken off the air for what they describe as broadcasts that 'incite' violence. Much of the channel's news coverage is devoted to either insurgent attacks against US forces, or alleged atrocities committed against Iraq's Sunnis by the Shiite-dominated security forces and death squads. The channel was shut down inside Iraq, but for the past eight months has been broadcasting from the Egyptian NileSat satellite which covers much of the region. - AFP"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"