Skip to main content

Garowe Online - Home

Garowe Online - Home: "BELETWEIN, Somalia Sep 27 (Garowe Online) - Ethiopian forces deployed in central Somalia withdrew from a key region Friday, Radio Garowe reported.

A contingent of Ethiopian troops driving 29 army trucks left the Jante Kundisho military camp in the outskirts of Beletwein, the capital of Hiran region.

The troops were reported to have headed for the Ethiopian border, where the Ethiopian army maintains a huge base to monitor security in Somalia's central regions.

On September 13, Ethiopian forces peacefully withdrew from Beletwein after facing consistent attacks from insurgents linked to the ousted Islamic Courts movement.

Islamist guerrillas, who are in control of virtually all districts in Hiran, also control the southern port of Kismayo and the town of Jowhar, which is located 90km from the national capital Mogadishu."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"