Skip to main content

Saudi Arabia beheads Ethiopian woman convicted of murdering Egyptian man - International Herald Tribune

Saudi Arabia beheads Ethiopian woman convicted of murdering Egyptian man - International Herald Tribune: "Saudi Arabia beheads Ethiopian woman convicted of murdering Egyptian man"
The Associated PressPublished: May 9, 2007

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia: Saudi authorities beheaded Wednesday an Ethiopian woman convicted of killing an Egyptian man over a dispute, the Interior Ministry said in a statement.

Khadija Bint Ibrahim Moussa was found guilty of fatally stabbing Mohammed Kamal Shaheen, according to the statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency. Moussa had stabbed Shaheen in the neck while he was asleep and then beat his head with a glass bottle. She was executed in the Red Sea port city of Jiddah. No other details were known.

Moussa was the first woman to be executed this year. The kingdom last beheaded two women in 2005.

Saudi Arabia follows a strict interpretation of Islam under which people convicted of murder, drug trafficking, rape and armed robbery can be executed. Beheadings are carried out with a sword in a public square.

Wednesday's executions brought to 57 the number of people beheaded in the kingdom this year. The kingdom beheaded 38 people last year and 83 people in 2005.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/05/09/africa/ME-GEN-Saudi-Beheading.php

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House

Broken Spring?       : Information Clearing House This is a sequel to my June 2011 article, ‘After the spring’, on the upheavals in the Arab world. It is an article that has been painful to write, because it brings bad tidings and offers a pessimistic analysis of the upheavals, at least in the short term, in a number of Arab countries. The outcomes and potential outcomes of these uprisings have also acquired new, very significant dimensions. These include a complex entanglement with the accelerated preparations for a possible attack on Iran, and a poisonous, sectarian aspect that could have the consequence of ripping Syria and the Middle East apart.

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt

Tony Blair in Iraq: War Criminal Admits Guilt : "That tragedy, the depth of which Blair could never comprehend, is encapsulated by Layla Anwar, an Iraqi blogger, who wrote of a friend who said this week: 'I wake up in the morning and death sits next to me. I have my tea and she has one too. I walk and she accompanies me. I go to sleep at night and she is in my bed. I see death, I hear death, I smell death ... she is everywhere. When she will pick me up, is only a question of time.'"